Monday, March 2, 2009

Alaska Bound

So we found out yesterday afternoon that we have been given an assignment to Alaska. Elmendorf AFB to be exact. We were a little shocked to find out we had orders so soon. They were to come out no later then 15 march and they came out a whole 2 weeks early. My dear, dear husband was unsure where to go look for assigments but after playing around on the site for a while he stumbled across our assignment.
I am not sure what to think about this. Brian is ecstatic. Alaska was down as our third choice. We really thought that we would get Hawaii. They had a lot of slots open there, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Brian has all these plans about what he wants to do when he gets there. I heard it's great for hunting, fishing, camping and all kinds of outdoors type things, I'm just not that kind of person. I'm nervous about the snow. Being that we are from southern california snow is not something that I'm good with. We barely get snow here in Germany and I have gotten my van stuck a few times.
The base looks really nice. The housing is new and nice. The scenery is beautiful. I'm looking forward to the fact that it's the United States. I will be able to go to Target, Walmart and American restaurants. The schools are decent. They have a pre-school on base that Dylan can go to hopefully. I loved skiing the first time I tried it. They have Brian's college there so he can continue his degree. Brian wants to sell the van already and get an all wheel or 4 wheel drive vehicle. I'm not in a hurry to do this because the van is paid off. I think I will talk to some people who live there first.
I think it will take some time to get used to this idea. I'm definately happy about this choice over some other choices we may have had. I love the thought of staying overseas and I think this choice will benefit our family in the long run. The flight home to San Diego will definately be shorter then Germany..

1 comment:

  1. I have a van and it works just fine. Everyone here has vans. All you have to do if your really worried is get studded tires. Seriously, I love my van and wouldn't give it up.

    ReplyDelete