Pisa was Beautiful
Monica, Carrie and I
I just had to take one of these cheesy tourist photo's
Me and Carrie enjoying the Gelato and Cappucino's
Church in Florence, so beautiful
Me on the beach in Terrenia
This past weekend I took a 2 night trip to Italy, specifically Pisa and Florence. I went with two girlfriends for a girls only weekend trip. It was nice to get away. We left on Valentines day because the flights were cheaper that day. Overall the trip was great. Not very expensive at all. We got a great deal on the flight and the hotel.
We flew on Ryan air to Pisa in the morning. We decided to rent a car instead of trying to find a taxi to go everywhere. We rented from Hertz. I made the reservation in my name since I was the one who knew how to drive a stick the best. When we got up to the counter the first thing the lady asked me was if I knew how to drive an automatic. My first response was "I know how to drive anything" but as I thought about it I thought what a stupid question. Doesn't everyone know how to drive an automatic? We got into our rented little Ford. It was different to drive. It could either be an automatic or manual but didn't have a clutch. If you forgot and didn't have it in auto then it would die. It was funny trying to get the hang of it, but I did fast. We nicknamed the car "The stupid car" it would change gears on it's own but not very smoothly. It lurched back and forth every time it changed gears. It was very funny and I just kept saying Stupid Car.
My friend Carrie was a great navigator, we relied on her a lot. Carrie had visited the area the prior summer and had a great memory for where to go. We stayed on an Army base called Camp Darby. The room was cheap and small but was fine for the weekend.
The first night there we went down to the beach in Terrenia. We watched the sunset, ate Gelato, took pictures and walked around. We got our first glimpse of the guys selling the fake purses. We checked them out but they looked cheap, so we didn't buy any. The Gelato was yummy, I was in love. We then headed back to the room to freshen up then headed to dinner. We all had pizza, bruchetta and sweet wine.
The next morning we got up bright and early and headed for Florence. The city was beautiful. We visited the Uffizi museum. I don't know much about art but I got to see some VERY famous paintings that even I could appreciate. DiVinci, Botticelli, Michelangelo. We shopped in some stores that we were suprised were open on Sunday. We ate more pizza and Gelato. We stopped in this awesome little cafe that had the best Coffee. It was expensive but soooo good. This cafe also had the most beautiful display of Gelato. The Gelato was decorated to match it's flavor and piled so high. I took pictures. It was a great and tiring day. We headed back to pisa on the train and spent the rest of the night watching t.v. in the room and relaxing.
The final day there we woke up, packed up, checked out and headed into Pisa. We had a little trouble finding parking. We couldn't locate the parking garage that we were looking for so we headed in the direction of the tower. We found a little road to park on and this little smart car stole a parking spot from me. Good thing a nice man waved to me that he was leaving and gave me his spot. The bad thing is I had to parallel park into the smallest space. I had this man who was selling tissues and umbrella's helping me to park. It was funny. I ended up giving him a tip for being so nice and helping me. The girls said I did a good job with the driving which made me feel good. The leaning tower was awesome to see. I was expected this old brown crumbling thing but instead I found this white marble tower with a dome and church beside it. It is beautiful and I ended up taking dozens of pictures of the tower, it's buildings and grounds. There wasn't much to see in Pisa so we stopped for Coffee and tiramisu before heading to the airport to fly home.
Overall it was a great trip. I heard that Germany had inches of snow and was glad to have missed it. The weather in Italy was chilly but bright and sunny. It was great! I am so glad I got to finally visit Italy. I missed Brian and the boy's but they had a good boy's weekend without me.
When I got home Brian had flowers for me since we couldn't spend Valentines day together, how sweet.
We flew on Ryan air to Pisa in the morning. We decided to rent a car instead of trying to find a taxi to go everywhere. We rented from Hertz. I made the reservation in my name since I was the one who knew how to drive a stick the best. When we got up to the counter the first thing the lady asked me was if I knew how to drive an automatic. My first response was "I know how to drive anything" but as I thought about it I thought what a stupid question. Doesn't everyone know how to drive an automatic? We got into our rented little Ford. It was different to drive. It could either be an automatic or manual but didn't have a clutch. If you forgot and didn't have it in auto then it would die. It was funny trying to get the hang of it, but I did fast. We nicknamed the car "The stupid car" it would change gears on it's own but not very smoothly. It lurched back and forth every time it changed gears. It was very funny and I just kept saying Stupid Car.
My friend Carrie was a great navigator, we relied on her a lot. Carrie had visited the area the prior summer and had a great memory for where to go. We stayed on an Army base called Camp Darby. The room was cheap and small but was fine for the weekend.
The first night there we went down to the beach in Terrenia. We watched the sunset, ate Gelato, took pictures and walked around. We got our first glimpse of the guys selling the fake purses. We checked them out but they looked cheap, so we didn't buy any. The Gelato was yummy, I was in love. We then headed back to the room to freshen up then headed to dinner. We all had pizza, bruchetta and sweet wine.
The next morning we got up bright and early and headed for Florence. The city was beautiful. We visited the Uffizi museum. I don't know much about art but I got to see some VERY famous paintings that even I could appreciate. DiVinci, Botticelli, Michelangelo. We shopped in some stores that we were suprised were open on Sunday. We ate more pizza and Gelato. We stopped in this awesome little cafe that had the best Coffee. It was expensive but soooo good. This cafe also had the most beautiful display of Gelato. The Gelato was decorated to match it's flavor and piled so high. I took pictures. It was a great and tiring day. We headed back to pisa on the train and spent the rest of the night watching t.v. in the room and relaxing.
The final day there we woke up, packed up, checked out and headed into Pisa. We had a little trouble finding parking. We couldn't locate the parking garage that we were looking for so we headed in the direction of the tower. We found a little road to park on and this little smart car stole a parking spot from me. Good thing a nice man waved to me that he was leaving and gave me his spot. The bad thing is I had to parallel park into the smallest space. I had this man who was selling tissues and umbrella's helping me to park. It was funny. I ended up giving him a tip for being so nice and helping me. The girls said I did a good job with the driving which made me feel good. The leaning tower was awesome to see. I was expected this old brown crumbling thing but instead I found this white marble tower with a dome and church beside it. It is beautiful and I ended up taking dozens of pictures of the tower, it's buildings and grounds. There wasn't much to see in Pisa so we stopped for Coffee and tiramisu before heading to the airport to fly home.
Overall it was a great trip. I heard that Germany had inches of snow and was glad to have missed it. The weather in Italy was chilly but bright and sunny. It was great! I am so glad I got to finally visit Italy. I missed Brian and the boy's but they had a good boy's weekend without me.
When I got home Brian had flowers for me since we couldn't spend Valentines day together, how sweet.
Sound & looks like you had fun. I love the pictures.
ReplyDelete